- 450g /1lb wholemeal plain flour
- 250ml / 9 fl oz cold water
- butter for spreading (optional)
- Set aside 200g / 7 oz of the flour and reserve for shaping the chapattis.
- Place the remaining flour in a deep bowl. Fill another bowl with the cold water.
- Add the water to the bowl of flour, a little at a time, kneading ad you go, until you have a soft, elastic dough. The longer you knead the dough the softer the chapattis will be.
- Sprinkle a little of the reserved flour onto a flat surface on board.
- Divide the dough into eight and shape each piece into a ball.
- Flatten the balls slightly, then place one onto the floured board.
- roll it out into a flat disc approximately 15cm in diameter, flouring the board when necessary.
- Heat a griddle or a shallow frying pan. Lay the chapatti on the griddle or pan and cook for about 20-30 seconds or until surface is bubbling.
- Turn it over with tongs and cook the other side for 10-15 seconds. As soon as brown spots appear on the underside, the chapatti is done.
- Repeat with the other seven balls, using the remaining flour to roll them out; Stack them up as they are cooked, placing a sheet of kitchen towel between each one to absorb any moisture.
- Spread butter over one side, if you like.