For the creme
- 150ml milk
- 275ml double cream
- 4 large eggs
- 40grams soft brown sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- For the caramel
- 110grams caster sugar
- 2tablespoons water (tap hot)
- Pre-heat oven Gas mark 2 300.F 150.C
- First make caramel. Put sugar in a medium saucepan and heat. When sugar begins to melt bubble and darken
- stir and continue to cook until it has become a uniform liquid syrup about 2/3 shades darker than golden syrup. Take pan off the heat and carefully add water. It will sputter but will soon subside. Stir and when syrup is smooth quickly pour into dish and tip to coat sides a little.
- Pour milk and cream into another pan and leave to heat gently while you whisk the eggs brown sugar and vanilla essence in a large bowl When milk is steaming hot pour onto egg mixture whisking until thoroughly blended.
- Pour liquid into dish with the caramel coating and place in large roasting tin. Transfer it to oven then pour hat water into it to surround dish up to 2/3 depth.
- Bake for an hour. Cool and chill then serve.
- Free edges by running hot knife around before inverting. If there are 4 egg yolks add 1 full egg to make up any deficit