- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100 gr Butter
- 1 lt Milk
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon white sugar
- 100 gr flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan; do not let the butter brown. Whisk the flour into the butter and cook it until a uniform paste is formed and no streaks of flour remain. Slowly whisk in the milk. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring slowly until the sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Add herbs if desired.
- Mince the pancetta, onion, carrot, and celery together and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy duty oven type pot. Cook the pancetta and minced vegetable mixture over low heat uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the ground meats, salt, pepper, and brown them completely. Stir the tomato paste into the wine and add it to the meat mixture. Simmer the ingredients uncovered for 45 minutes, adding the milk or cream, a little at a time, to keep the mixture from sticking while it cooks. The milk also lends richness and creaminess to the sauce. The sauce should have a thick consistency.
Assembling the Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 14 x 11 x 3-inch deep lasagne pan. Spread a thin layer of the besciamella sauce in the pan. Place a layer of the pasta sheets over the sauce. Spread another thin coating of the béchamel sauce over the pasta and then a thin coating of the ragù sauce over the béchamel. Sprinkle the top with about 2 tablespoons of the grated cheese.
- Continue making layers as above until all the ingredients have been used up, ending with a layer of cream sauce and a sprinkling of cheese. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the béchamel sauce and 1/3 cup of the cheese for this top layer. Be sure to spread the sauce evenly over the top layer to completely cover the pasta.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminium foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the lasagne is hot and the top has a nice crust.