- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium celery stalk, small dice
- 2 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 litre water
- ½ litre vegetable stock
- 400grams can of chopped tomatoes with their juices
- 1 1/2 cups lentils , rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering, about 3 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock, tomatoes with their juices, lentils, bay leaf, and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, covered, until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes more.
- Taste and season with more salt or pepper as needed and garnish with chopped parsley