- 1 stalk of lemongrass, crushed
- 4 sprigs of mint, leaves picked
- 4 sprigs of coriander
- 4 sprigs of perilla leaves or thai basil leaves (optional)
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 soft lettuce, ½ shredded
- 4 tbsp salted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 8 rice paper wrappers
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, finely sliced
- Set out all the ingredients within easy reach of a clean, dry chopping board. Half fill a bowl big enough to fit the wrappers in with cold water, and then dunk one in and keep patting until it’s pliable, but not completely soft. Lay flat on the chopping board.
- In a horizontal line add herbs. Add a pinch of carrot and a few cucumber sticks, Finish with some shredded lettuce and a line of crushed peanuts.
- Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper tightly up over the filling, and then fold the sides in over it. Continue to roll up tightly and place on a plate, join-side down. Cover rolls with lettuce leaves to keep them fresh.
- Once all the rolls are made, make the sauce. Whisk the sugar into the lime juice to dissolve, then add the remaining ingredients. Adjust to taste if necessary.